Welcome to project foundation
Project for the setup of a foundation for the governance of open source software in a bioinformatics context; software that is not used by programmers; software for which the governance requires a community of users (life-scientists, biologists, clinicians, laboratory personnel, etc) as well as a community of programmers (bioinformaticians, informaticians, statisticians, etc)
This (obviously) is not a software project itself, so there is no source code. However, there are many actions to be taken and documents to be produced, and this Trac Wiki will be used to coordinate the efforts.
If you want to help set up this foundation, please send mail to the mailing list
- We are currently looking for organizations that are willing to endorse our initiative. So far, we have spoken with:
- TNO and Maastricht University (NuGO consortium)
- Netherlands eScienceCenter
- Netherlands Metabolomics Center
- LUMC, Human Genetics
- UMCG, Morris Swertz
- Others we want to talk to are:
- Johnson & Johnson
- One we have enough endorsements, we will pass by all organisations asking them each for a small sum of money. None of the partners should be a major contributor, because we want to reach a situation in which no single partner is essential for the continuation of the efforts. The impression of stability is of utmost importance.
- We would like to collect 100k Euro. We will use that money to get the foundation going and keep it running for at least one year, with some money to spare as a buffer.
- Budget for 1 person to run the foundation: 60 k Euro
- Budget for setting up and running the foundation: 10 k Euro
- Budget for legal advice (software licenses, data sharing licenses etc.): 10 k Euro
- Budget for design of web site(s): 10 k Euro
- Budget for running web site(s): 10 k Euro
- The first year should be used to make a sustainability plan: where will money come from in the future.
Interesting external links
For background, see: http://www.nieuwestichting.nl/stichting-oprichten/stappenplan.html
A stub website is already set up at http://phenotypefoundation.org.
This project provides the following mailing lists.
- foundation-users: a list intended for general discussion on the project
- foundation-commits: a list that receives commit messages
- foundation-devel: a list intended for discussion among developers (subscription is restricted to registered developers)
Other NBIC software projects
Many NBIC software projects can be accessed via the project index.